Tools...

paul connor

Ok, I have at last realised repairs with odds and sods and tat is more of a hassle than its worth!

I have decided to,while i have the chance buy some good tools.

So far Im after socket sets AF&M as well as spanners to match

pliers and chisels as well as screwdrivers

I shall prob buy new. As you get the knowledge they will last( lifetime) and be non abused

so the question is ... make

TENG

BRITOOL

KING DICK

what you think??

Britool seem to be the better i think

Halfords Professional Advance range

Good Value

Lifetime Guarantee

Metric and Imperial

And you don't have to buy a complete set if you just want /need one socket

Usually a halfords near everyone

Order service if they don't have it

Have used;-

Snap on in the past (expensive )

Teng .Good Value not great finish on them

Elora .Well made German tools(like the larger sizes of spanners +30mm)

Buy the best you can afford

Jamie

I got hold of a set of both spanners (ring/open end) and sockets from a firm called "Metrinch" some years ago. Sockets are 1/2" drive as normal and these fit any nut or bolt, metric or imperial and will even grip on bolts/nuts that are virtually rounded off. Never had any problems with them and lost count of the Saavs they've taken apart as well as my Series 3 Landie.

See: http://www.metrinch-tools.com/website/introductie.php?language=gb

They can be obtained from http://www.directsupplyukltd.co.uk/categories/metrinch-tools/106/1

I'd go for the Halfords proffesional. Cheaper than the equivalents such as snapon. I've abused my set of Halford's kit for many years.

And Having snapped 3 1/2" breaker bars (only the head of them)just walked in changed breaker bar and walked out (they do inspect them for impact damage but not for jumping on the end of them, Shhhhhhhhhhh mum's the word)

Jamie

I got hold of a set of both spanners (ring/open end) and sockets from a firm called "Metrinch" some years ago. Sockets are 1/2" drive as normal and these fit any nut or bolt, metric or imperial and will even grip on bolts/nuts that are virtually rounded off. Never had any problems with them and lost count of the Saavs they've taken apart as well as my Series 3 Landie.

Would anyone else care to comment on the Metrinch tooling? Looks a very good idea.....

For what it's worth- a lot of my kit is Draper and I've abused it a lot over the years and 3 restos. Not too expensive and a lot of stockists. Really cheap stuf is not worth the money. I was undoing screws on the Discovery the other day with a driver from one of these cheap do-it-all kits and managed to screw the screwdriver head right off the shaft without budging the screw.....b***er :nono:

I bought myself a set of Britool sockets just after I started work & as soon as I'd saved enough of the hard earned to pay for them . The set I bought was pretty much the most comprehensive they did at the time with a selection of metric sockets from around 11mm up to 32mm & AF from just under 1/2" up to 1 1/8" , spark plug socket , breaker bar , short ,medium & long extension bars , ratchet and a tommy bar - think the only thing it didn't include was a hand ratchet which I often regretted & finally bought a couple of years ago . That set has seen me through work and numerous vehicle restorations , much abuse - including unintentionally driving over the box in our TK one day having forgotten that the box was laid just behind the back wheel and also loosing the ratchet , extension & one socket which eventually turned up - some months and a good few miles later - still on the end of a hinge bolt under the front wing of my Range Rover .The Rangie died around fifteen years ago but the ratchet and indeed the whole socket set is still going strong . I guess I have had them thirty plus years now and it is one of the best investments I have ever made .

Hi Paul. I have some £70,000 worth of snap-on kit. and had some of them for many years, and they are as good as new. I also have some Britool tools well worth the money, but I mainly have the impact sockets which are a bit stronger than the standard sockets (maybe worth thinking about) hope this helps.

Clive.